Manuscript Book Editing
If you are serious about getting your book published, then utilizing a good manuscript editing service is a necessity. Why?
Even the best writers make mistakes!
- They leave out important details.
- They choose words that are confusing to the reader.
- They spell words wrong, use the wrong punctuation and make grammar errors.
- Their writing veers off and loses focus.
Alice Osborn ensures that your manuscript is on par with traditional professionally edited manuscripts and is optimized for publishers, agents and readers.
If you intend on submitting your manuscript to traditional publishers, remember, you only have one chance to make a good impression. It is critical that all errors, such as those listed above, are fixed by your editor before you send your manuscript off to a publisher or agent. Publishers are not looking for the “diamond in the rough” manuscript. They expect a perfectly polished, well written AND well edited manuscript.
No matter how capable you are as a writer and proofreader, you can’t accomplish your best writing entirely by yourself. Producing an exceptional book requires skills…beyond the capabilities of even the best writers. Skimping on…editing—even for the most experienced writer—are surefire ways to diminish the quality of your final product.”
Read this great post about having others edit your work!
Alice Osborn’s Manuscript Editing Services
What Alice does:
- reads the document/manuscript
- asks tough questions of your characters, especially if you are protecting them and not placing them in enough conflict or challenge
- poses questions to the author of what’s working, what’s not working and what’s working but could be better
- shows professional objectivity and gentle honesty about your writing
- forces you to examine your work and think about more possibilities
- corrects for grammar, logic and organization
Alice focuses on:
- timelines so you don’t confuse your reader
- keeping your plot in focus so you don’t veer off
- ideas you didn’t think of before
- making your book reader-centered
Alice will then:
- submit to you Track Changes in Word
- provide you with an agent-ready manuscript
- create an edit summary so that you can get your work as quickly into your readers’ hands as possible
Alice is a big believer in collaborating with her clients so that the best quality work is achieved
This depends upon the project’s length and complexity, and Alice will have it ready for you when promised
Alice promises to give her clients the best possible customer service
Please note: (effective December 24, 2016) Alice’s sample edit/reading fee is $150 for up to 15 pages double-spaced. If we work together, then your fee will be absorbed into your total editing cost. If I choose not to work with you, your reading/sample fee is non-refundable.
Manuscript Editing Rate: Consult with me on editing your finished manuscript for a fair flat rate. Email me HERE
Want to finish your book this year, but need an accountability partner?
I also offer a $200/month (for at least 6 months) coaching package that helps writers who need accountability with their writing practice and desire to finish their book by the end of the year (within 9 to 12 months).
Writers submit 1 piece per month based on my emailed writing prompt (or work they already have written), up to 20 pages, double-spaced. Then the edited critique is emailed back to the participant. I will
- Help you with the writing process/be your accountability partner
I will help you where you need more showing than telling, character development, setting, and dialogue. Many writers struggle figuring out how to balance between writing summary and scenes, which can contribute to readers feeling great distance between the author and the work; you don’t want that! I will also help point of view problems–you may start in third person and then shift to first person at the end, for example.
- Strengthen and tone your writing
I will line edit your work in Track Changes for grammar, flow, sentence clarity, replacing passive voice, (“the ball was thrown,” instead of, “I threw the ball.”) tense shifts, comprehension, fragments, spelling, possessive, punctuation.
- Help you with marketing and publishing your book
I will help you locate a book designer and publisher and/or agent. She’ll also hold her hand during this process.
- Give you individualized lessons, coaching calls and feedback
With this package, clients get 1 coaching call per month (60 min) or a face-to-face meeting depending upon proximity (if you are within 25 miles of Alice’s office). If you need additional support, I will supply individualized craft/writing lessons as well. Every month you’ll receive feedback in your edits and emails.
If this package sounds like the right plan for you, please email me HERE!
Alice Osborn will help you get your novel published and adored by your readers
Alice is THE professional editor and published author to help you get famous through publication.
She will help you achieve success and confidence with editing, writing workshops, and mentoring to help you achieve your writing goals. If you need one-on-one coaching, Alice offers mentoring that can turn you from a writer into an author. She is THE expert you can trust and who will be honest and fair with you.
Connect with Alice now by signing up for her E-zine to immediately receive FRE*E writing tips! You’ll also be plugged in to receive her monthly updates on writing news, events and more.